Welcome to Tamatea High School
Greetings and a warm welcome to Tamatea High School.
Our vision at Tamatea High School is E tipu e rea, ka tipu koe hei tangata. This means 'Growing good people for a changing world'.
We all want our rangatahi and tamariki to have the opportunity to learn the skills and knowledge that enables a positive future. One of our key goals is ensuring our students have a meaningful career pathway.
We want them to learn to:
- understand who they are
- be proud of themselves
- get on with others and work in teams
- set challenging and achievable goals
- be a good person
If these goals are a good fit for your whānau, we'd love to have you join ours.
Individually tailored learning pathways
We recognise that each of our ākonga have different strengths, and learn at different speeds. Our kaiako take an active interest in understanding and supporting them to set their learning goals. We want to help our rangatahi to thrive in a changing world.
Students are coached so that they choose a pathway that best suits their strengths, interests and future plans. This includes developing their academic skills such as critical thinking, creativity, knowledge and practical skills along with resilience, cultural understanding and values that prepare them for life beyond the school gate.
Specific learning needs are also targeted by our supported learning programmes, tailored to offer extra support to ākonga who need it.
The 2021 Leavers' Data shows that the majority of our Year 12 and Year 13 leavers go directly into employment after leaving our kura. Many also attend our local tertiary education provider (EIT) where they study a certificate or diploma course and some venture further afield to attend University.
Click on the links below to take a look at our academic analysis and achievement reports in both NCEA and in our Junior School Literacy (e-asTTle) and Numeracy (Lomas) testing. This makes for really encouraging reading.
We are very proud of our tamariki and their achievements, particularly in the past two years with the disruption to their day to day school routine due to COVID-19 – evidence that our tamariki have adapted and made amazing progress.
Student Leaver Results
- The majority of our Year 11s and 12s return to us to work on their pathway goals.
- There are a number of Year 12 students who move onto employment or courses (often at EIT).
- The majority of our Year 13 students find employment soon after leaving.
- A good proportion of Year 13 students start a course (often at EIT).
- We ensure that the small number of students who set a goal to go to University are able to achieve that. Many, we are able to support with scholarships.
- In spite of the impact of COVID, we have been able to ensure leavers have a meaningful pathway.
View the Tamatea High School student leaver results from 2019-2021, below: